Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Reading

Please re-read Chapter 7: Color in your textbook. You can skip the latter section about Developing Color film and such.

I want you to read the following book:
Creative Night: Digital Photography Tips and Techniques by Harold Davis
It is 90% photos, 10% text. I want you to read it all. Much of it we covered in class, but it will only help you to hear it again. There is information on creating star trails, painting with light, etc.
The only part I don't agree with is his section on histograms. He suggests trying to place the tone of the values at the time of shooting. I have continously told you to expose for the highlights, taking in as much as possible, then moving/mapping the tones to where you want them using your image editing application (in your case Adobe Photoshop CS5 Adobe Camera Raw). The method I have taught you will result in cleaner images. Please stick with it. Just keep in mind generally, you will not try to retain detail in a light source. This is to say, let the light sources get blown out.

Exposure Photo Workshop - A nice introductory book all about the basics of exposure. Chapter 9 is on night photography. Chapters 2-5 are about the basics of exposure. Good refresher material. Plus, its presented in a manner other than my own. Chapter 6 talks about all the other modes on your camera dial that I haven't addressed. I want you to read Chapter 9 by Wednesday and the other chapters over the next week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment